Cité De L’océan Et Du Surf
Facts and downloads
- Architect: Steven Holl Architects, Agence d’architecture X.Leibar, J.M Seigneurin
- Location: Biarritz, France
- Area: 3800 m² (40,903 ft²)
- Fellert Area: 2800 m² (30,139 ft²)
- Fellert Installer: ALLAIN Ingénierie
- General contractor: Faura Silva, GTM Sud-Ouest Batiment
- Type: New construction
When the waves and environment are in focus
Biarritz has always had a strong relationship with the omnipresent Atlantic Ocean. For more than four decades, surfing has been a deep-rooted element of the local culture, and has produced an image and lifestyle that is intimately linked to an active environmental approach and marine culture.
Steven Holl couldn’t have found a better location to realize his Cité de l’Océan et du surf – scientifically, physically or meteorologically. The inverted arch that overlooks the large exhibition hall symbolizes the motion of the sea and gives the building a unique architectonic expression. Using environmentally friendly acoustical solutions from Fellert, consideration has also been taken to both present and future generations.
(Photo: Steven Holl Architects)
- Focus on green solutions
- Solely hard materials and large surfaces
- Unique architectonic expression